Recognizing the myths and symptoms of mold exposure in contaminated properties
United States – Mold is a fungus, and there are many different types. However, popular opinion of the effects of mold have mutated into almost urban legend.
There are in fact health concerns to having mold infest a property. But those concerns do not include cancer or lung disease, according to Medical News Today, since no convincing research has proven a connection between them.
Many have also heard the term “black mold.” There is actually no one type of black mold. In fact, most types of mold are black. What’s more, there is no scientific evidence showing an exposure to one type of mold is worse than any other type.
So why is it some people experience health problems even after a small amount of exposure to mold? First of all, since mold is a fungus, it releases mycotoxins (a toxic substance which fungus produces) into the air, or so some research indicates.
Some research has also linked exposure to these mycotoxins and serious health problems in those who occupy contaminated buildings. Some of the symptoms of exposure from mold in a contaminated environment are; aches and pains, mood changes, headaches, memory loss and nosebleeds.
These are common symptoms of other health issues, so it is easy for persons exposed to a mold contaminated property may not realize the source of their symptoms. However, presently there is no proven data which links these symptoms to inhaling mold spores.
On the other hand, many state health departments have found many types of indoor mold, not just “balck mold,” could cause health problems but not for everyone who are exposed to it. It could also be unhealthy for anyone to have long-term exposure to mold spores.
Most commonly, the symptoms of mold exposure are allergy and irritation, and the people who are most at risk of developing these types of symptoms are infants and children, older adults, people with allergies or even asthma and people with weakened immune systems. Those experiencing allergies and irritation to mold exposure could eventually develop respiratory problems.
People with weakened immune systems could also end up with a fungal infection with prolonged exposure.
While having a property contaminated with mold is important to have certified professionals like those at Triple C Restoration handle the remediation of the fungus, it is important to know that although all types of mold have the ability to release mycotoxins, they don’t always do so. Mold found in a property may not actually be producing these types of toxins.
However, those with allergies may find themselves with worse symptoms due to mold exposure. Those with asthma or pre-existing lung complications could also experience a further decline of their condition. Those with weakened immune systems are most likely to develop a fungal infection due to toxin producing mold exposure.
About Hurri-Dry Nationwide:
In the industry since 1990, Hurri-Dry Nationwide is not only a certified firm by the Institute of Inspections, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC), we also require each of our technicians to be certified as well. We also maintain certifications in Applied Structural Drying and Mold Remediation. Our in-house ability to handle damages to large commercial facilities and multi-family properties, as well as single-family homes, makes our company unique with hyper-efficient disaster response times. Our company’s ownership team is extremely hands-on and we pride ourselves on the daily communication and progress reporting we provide to our clients as we serve them. We offer discounted rates on equipment rentals and our fast-and-easy financing for those who qualify allow us to serve clients who find themselves in need of our services but without the immediate funds.
Text "DAMAGE" to 21000
Hurri-Dry Nationwide (888) 685-7329 www.hurridry.com